Summer Solstice is really mid-summer, not the beginning of summer in the Celtic calendar. After this evening, the days will begin shortening again.
There are many meanings attributed to this time of solar ripeness—many astrological attributions, many New Age theories.
To learn what this Solstice is about for you, take a few moments to get still. Breathe into your lower body (from your waist down into your energy roots in the earth) and into your back body (from your spine back behind your physical body).
Hold an intent in your womb-space or belly to merge with the Sun. Breathe into the Universe that is inside of you.
Ask your inner self:
• What is my current relationship with my ability to shine my light out into the world?
• What aspects of my self do I withhold from the light?
• Where may I be more generous with myself and others?
Then, ceremonialize your intention to acknowledge the energies of solstice. While a ceremony describes your overall intent to bridge the worlds of spirit and human concerns, rituals are the various actions within a ceremony that concretize your specific intentions so they may be known to our conscious minds and to the worlds of spirit.
One solstice ritual you might practice today (or tomorrow, Friday, is fine, too) is one of “dissolution and manifestation.”
• Release an expended belief, possession, memory or experience by surrendering it to earth, air, fire or water (e.g., write on a piece of paper what you are releasing and then bury or plant it in the earth, speak it into the air, burn it in fire, cleanse or bless it in water.)*
• Birth a new freedom in yourself to more fully and passionately inhabit your body and your life. One way to do this is to write out what it is you are birthing and then speak or sing those words as an offering to the elements of fire, water, earth, air and Spirit.
Note: As with all dissolutions, we are not getting “rid” of anything: we are offering it to the wheel of life where it may best be utilized.
The solstices, equinoxes and the cross-quarter days that are the mid-point between them are optimal times to connect with the solar, lunar and planetary forces in the depths of our psyches. They are like energetic, biological portals through which to enter the mystery of our own Inner Universe. When I come into alignment with the Universe inside me, I become a more loving and empathetic human being.
Tomorrow, here in Santa Fe, I will be facilitating a solstice ceremony. My brother and sister journeyers and I (we call ourselves the “Heart Tribe”) will be meditating, drumming and journeying. As is always the case in our ceremonies, we will be blending our hearts and our songs with the heart and song of the whole planet. And that includes each one of you.
[Summer Solstice 2013: Friday, June 21st at 1:04 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time and 12:04 a.m. Central Daylight Time. In the Mountain and Pacific time zones, Solstice is today, Thursday, June 20th at 11:04 p.m. and 10:04 p.m., respectively.]